By Nancy Morris
A babysitter is to thank for perhaps saving a baby girl’s life.
When the sitter picked the child up he noticed burns on the child. The mother, Shannon Hyde told him it was bug bites, but he contacted authorities and took the infant to the emergency room, where a doctor confirmed the baby suffered from first and second degree burns.
The father admitted he burned the baby girl’s face with hot water. He said that after the baby had thrown up she would not stop crying, so he dipped a bib into hot water and dripped it on her face, which cause blistering on the baby’s face and neck.
The mother said she knew about the incident, but did nothing about it.
21-year-old Daniel Shea is charged with aggravated child abuse. 20-year-old Shannon Hyde is charged with aggravated child abuse and neglect. Hyde is charged because investigators say she knew the baby, who was already sick, had been burned, but she didn’t seek medical attention.
The baby is being treated at Children’s Hospital. The babysitter has temporary custody of the child.