A mentally handicapped paraplegic man who lives alone suffered second and third-degree burns in an accidental kitchen fire, Thursday morning, Aug. 30.
Knoxville Police Officer Rick Eastridge said officers responded to Knob Hill Apartments, 1307 Wilson Road, on the report of an individual on fire in the parking lot at approximately 8:51 a.m., Thursday.
Upon arrival, officers found a black male lying on the ground being treated by Rural Metro EMS and Knoxville Fire Department personnel. The victim who is a paraplegic, mentally handicapped and lives by himself stated he was trying to clean his stove. He forgot that he had a burner on and reached across it, catching his shirt on fire.
The individual used his electric wheel chair to go outside into the parking lot. Once he reached the parking lot a resident of the apartment complex came to his aid. The resident placed him on the ground, put the fire out and called 911.
The victim was transported to the University of Tennessee Hospital with second and third-degree burns on his right arm and back.
The name of the victim was not released. The victim has a case worker though Adult Protective Services and they have been notified.
Investigator Riddle with KPD Major Crimes will be conducting an investigation due to the nature of the victims injuries.